Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Update on Sammi

Sammi got the sutures removed from his leg yesterday.  (See my blog post Does My Dog Have a Tumor? for details about why Sammi had to have minor surgery.)  He was such a good boy for the vet ... much more so than he was for me!

Before taking him to the vet, I tried to take his stitches out myself.  I have a pair of those scissors with the little curve on the end, designed just for taking out sutures, but he was playing the drama queen and acted like I was trying to amputate his leg.  No matter how much I talked sweet and softly to him, he just didn't want to hold still. 

But when it was our turn at the vet, he walked into the exam room, hopped up onto the chair in the corner like he always does, and sat very, very still while Dr. Kelvin kneeled in front of him ... snip, snip, snip ... all done!  If anyone can explain why dogs will typically "behave" for the vet when they won't for their human, please feel free.  I'm sure it has something to do with being in a strange place or being nervous, but you'd think maybe he'd relax at home and trust that I wasn't trying to hurt him.  ... Oh well!

Or maybe he was just trying to get me to take him on a car ride into town.  As you can see from the photo, he was a happy camper, sitting in the front seat.  And if that was his goal, well, then he got what he wanted.  :-)  So anyway, Sammi's leg healed well, and now that the stitches are out, he's not licking and chewing on the incision as much, so I know it's mostly healed.  I love my boy, Sam!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



"Talk" to you more soon ... I'll leave you with this:



"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window!"     ~~ Steve Bluestone
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and Feedback are always welcome, as long as you follow one rule: Be the person your dog thinks you are (or cat, bunny, ferret, horse ...)